Back in November 2018 I purchased two Reolink PRO Outdoor Security Cameras. The first one I purchased on Amazon.ca for $140 (CDN), and the 2nd one I purchased directly from Reolink for $80 USD ($110 CDN). (I’ll put the links below).
I chose this make/model for the following reasons:
- Totally wireless for both power and WIFI enabling me to install it anywhere I wanted without worrying about cables. It runs on rechargeable batteries and uses my network WIFI.
- High resolution (1080p Full HD) video camera in the daytime and Infrared Night Vision for nighttime. Wide angles lens allows for a very wide field of view.
- PIR (passive infrared) Motion Sensor which detects any motion and then triggers an alert directly to my phone via text or email and/or optionally triggers the internal siren (75db).
- Two-way audio to hear any noises or voices and if necessary talk-back to visitor.
- Through my phone I can monitor live any of the cameras and can see and hear for quite a wide area. (130 degree wide angle)
- Any motion event triggers video recording to either the Micro SD card in the camera or directly to the “Cloud” for instant viewing.
- Easy adjustments for perfect viewing area.
- Optional Solar Panel for non-stop recharging (I didn’t get this).
After using these cameras now for over 3 months here are my Pros/Cons:
PROS (here are the things that I really liked or at least worked as advertised):
- Price. Compared to other cameras of this quality, these were quite inexpensive.
- Wireless. I moved them around to find the absolute best viewing area including a perfect view of my front door and patio but also down the side of the house.
- 1080p HD. Very clear video in bright daylight and in low-light situations it changes into Night Vision mode.
- Microphone. Crystal clear sound for both street noises or people talking.
- App. I love the app that comes with the cameras.
CONS (here are the things that I really did not like or didn’t really work as advertised):
- Batteries. Taking the cameras down to recharge the batteries can be a pain in the butt. They need to be recharged every 3-4 weeks. (I might purchase the solar panel).
- Motion not always detected. The recording wasn’t as fast to start as I had hoped. If someone were to run onto our front entrance and steal a package, by the time the camera caught the action it was too late as they had already left. It did very well if someone was loitering at the front door or ringing the doorbell.
General opinion: I love these cameras! .. sometimes I turn on the desktop app and just watch what’s happening in my front or back yard. Right now my 2 cameras are pointing mostly at my house but I might get a third one and point it down the road, since I am the Block Watch Captain, I may need to keep an eye on any suspicious characters in our neighbourhood!
Amazon.ca: $134.99 (CDN) https://goo.gl/jQLn6C
Reolink website: $99 (USD) https://reolink.com/product/argus-pro/